skip navigation

Travel Refs


If you have ever considered becoming a referee for travel soccer, winter/spring is the time to begin your training to be prepared for the upcoming summer season. 

U.S. Soccer mandates all certified referees must be at least 13 years old. 

Once trained, you can work league games and tournaments all around Minnesota. YOU set where and when you work! 

Good referees are essential to the success of our soccer program. The most important thing that referees do is to ensure that travel games are fun, safe and fair.

As a new referee, you have certain requirements that you need to complete before you take the field for the first time.

  • Step 1: Register with
  • Step 2: Pay $40 State Administrative and $40 US Soccer Registration Fees ($80 total)
  • Step 3: Complete the 8 hours of Online Training (US Soccer Grassroots course and 10 MNSRC video modules.)
  • Step 4: Complete online "Classroom Clinic."  Due to the pandemic, all classes are suspended. The classroom material is offered as an online supplement on the SRC website once you complete all of the pre‐class online tasks.
  • Step 5: Pass the USSF Grade 8 Test
  • Step 6: Referees 18 years or older- complete the MYSA Background Check & Safe Sports Training 
  • Step 7: Once you have completed these steps, contact M & D Sports to complete required paperwork to work for CMYSA. If you want to work for other clubs, log into your SRC account and scroll down towards the bottom of your page, you will see a 'How to Connect with an Assignor.' This presentation will tell you how to sign up with other clubs to work their games.
  • Step 8: Sign into Game Officials to list your availability.
  • Step 9: Create a Referee Account with US Sports Connect/Affinity (for digital player cards and game scoring). Minors need to call to create a referee account 855-703-2578.  
  • Step 10: You will then receive game assignments which you must accept or decline.
  • Step 11: Purchase a referee uniform (start with a basic yellow jersey)
  • General info: Referees (

There is a need for more certified soccer referees in our area so we strongly encourage those who are interested in more information to visit the MN State Referee Committee website.

If you have questions, reach out to Lissa Staples, Travel Administrator,, 320-223-4594.



Adult referees (18 years or older) who will be working MYSA sanctioned games or tournaments are required to complete a background check. 
Background checks are initiated through the Affinity Sports Registration platform and are processed by the McDowell Agency.
Go to this website to get started: MYSA Background Check
*If you complete a background check as a CMYSA club manager, coach, administrator, etc. you do not need to complete the referee background check.

Travel REF PAY 2021

9U/10U 11U/12U 13U/14U 15U/16U 17U/18U
Center Ref $30 $35 $40 $45 $50
AR none $23 $28 $33 $38

A few websites...


Ask-Tell-Dismiss is a standard tool used by referees to manage players, coaches, sideline parents and fans. Be calm and professional. Apply the least amount of pressure needed to control the game.

The Watch & the Whistle

A Primer for Youth Soccer Referees

Travel Ref Uniform - also need black shorts & socks

Helpful MN Website Tips

Referees need an account on Game Officials
This is for game assignments and game scoring.

Referees also need to access Affinity/US Soccer Connect to add game scores and access digital player cards. Info at Only Adult referees need to create an account and get a background check.

If there is an incident at a game (player injury, inappropriate adult behavior, etc.) log into your account at the MN State Referee Committee  and complete this form "Referee Match Incident Report Form."